It tickles, too prickly, very slimy, too rough, so soft, very wet, too cold. The ability to touch and feel objects – loving or hating the sensation that comes from that stimulation. We have been exploring different textures and sensations, I wanted to add an item that would help with sensory discovery along with color recognition, so I did this colored spaghetti instant noodles. Children can learn color recognition from many forms of play and varied activities without the worksheet. For this sensory bin:
- I cooked a pack of instant noodle spaghetti for 1-2 minutes just enough to soften the dough making it wiggly.
- Wash noodles in cold water ( blanching). I placed it in a large strainer and washed in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Drain very well..leave it draining for 2 minutes
- Remove from colander or strainer then place in bowl, divide for more than one color
- Add food coloring – wear gloves when mixing as this will really color/ stain your fingers.
- Add some cooking oil 1/2 tsp – should work fine, I eyeballed mine. I used canola oil. I am guessing you could use olive or corn oil.
- Mix thoroughly, sit and let air dry.
I made a batch of five colors. Colors that would intrigue the kids and give them plenty of play.
Their play continued for hours. Each child got a chance to place noodles in a bowl of their own. This colored noodles gave the children lots of play indoors and outdoors.
This creative play was well received by the older children. Which played alongside the younger children encouraging mentorship and modeling. This is also an activity that you could cook with your children and let them color the noodles for a family fun night.The tray was taken outdoors for the infants to have plenty of unrestricted play. There was one child that didn’t like the feel of the noodles..maybe too slimy for that youngster. Yet there were others that enjoyed the sensory feel and played until the spaghetti dried out, and was eventually tossed.
I hope you will be able to make a batch for your youngster and have lots of play indoors and out. Thanks for stopping by and reading about some of our activities at Lil Bebe Academy – Miss Sue
Life with Senu and Heru. They went to a beach wedding in Florida.